Thursday, October 25, 2007

October 25, 2007

ASK YOURSELF!
A recent post from SamShawonline.org:

My good friend Josh Hunt writes a weekly column for Bible study leaders. His column this week gives five questions that any teacher or leader can ask a group or friend over and over and without getting old.

1. HOW ARE YOU DOING THESE DAYS IN TERMS OF YOUR TIME ALONE WITH GOD?
Every month or so, ask your group: what are you reading? What have you read lately that was meaningful to you? Have you memorized any verses? What are your praying about?

2. WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT FOLLOWING CHRIST? WHAT HAS BEEN GREAT ABOUT IT RECENTLY?

Here is Josh’s list:
I love having a Bible that instructs me on how to live.I love sensing the presence of God in my life on a daily basis.I love enjoying Christian teaching. We have such great Christian teaching these days in books, radio, podcasts and other media. What a time to be alive!I love serving the Lord. Jesus said as we engage in the task of making disciples, that He will be with us. We know He is with us always, but there is a special sense of His presence when we are serving Him.I love the sense of calling and purpose–a reason to get out of bed in the morning. A Christian needn’t ever be bored.I love the church and the fellowship of Christian friends.I love the knowledge that I am forgiven of all my sins.I love the knowledge that death is not the ultimate enemy. (What would you pay for that?)I love knowing that God is God and I am not. I love resting in the fact that He is boss. The world is not running recklessly out of control. There is a throne in heaven and Someone is sitting on it. Not pacing the floor and wringing His hands. Sitting. Relaxed. In charge.I love the promises of God, especially Romans 8.28. Life is hard; often very hard. In a difficult world it is great to know that there is a God who is working all things together for God as we love Him and follow His calling for our lives.

An old hymn describes our heart as, “prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.” It is really true, isn’t it? We need to be reminded on a regular basis of what we have in Christ.

3. HOW DOES IT BENEFIT YOU TO FOLLOW CHRIST?

4. WHAT DOES FOLLOWING CHRIST COST YOU?

5. WHAT ARE YOU BURDENED ABOUT THESE DAYS? WHAT IS ON YOUR HEART?
? WHAT HAS TEMPTED YOU TO WORRY?


For a fuller explanation of the questions, and to sign up for Josh’s newsletter, check out www.joshhunt.com

No comments: