Friday, May 22, 2009

A SIMPLE THANK YOU

Our neighborhood association attaches American flags to the mailboxes of all the homes in our subdivision for Memorial Day, July 4th, and Veterans Day. Our small way of saluting our country and the ones that stand in the gap to preserve our freedom.

I was doing my part to help get those up this morning when a couple from down the street pulled up beside me to say hello. I know that they are both very patriotic from their license plate which reads "Proud American" to the flag that proudly waves in their front yard. I asked how they were and then I asked him,

"You're a veteran, aren't you?" (I was pretty sure he was)

He nodded yes.

"Thank you" I said.

I wish you could have seen the expression on his face. His wife must have known I'd hit a nerve for she smiled and reached over and patted his leg. He could not utter a word, but nodded his thanks, smiled through what I'm pretty sure were tears and quietly drove off.

I was as surprised at his reaction as he was at my statement.

Such a simple thing...just a "thank you". But to the hundreds or maybe thousands of veterans we come in contact with day in and day out, it means the world.

They laid their lives on the line for us. Some were prisoners of war. Some suffered injury or came back totally changed by what they saw. Most of us will never know what it was like for them, no matter whether it was in WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Kuwait, Afghanistan or Iraq. Yet I would dare to say that very few have ever had anyone say the simple words "Thank You" for the service they have rendered on behalf of this country and for each one of us.

Monday is Memorial Day. So I am writing this today to ask you look around you over the next several days. See who you know that is a veteran. Maybe it's a neighbor. Maybe it's a family member. Maybe it's someone at church or in your office. But will you seek them out this weekend, either in person or by email or a phone call and do one simple thing.

Just say "Thank you" for serving our country.

And to any of you who may be reading this today....if you are a veteran, may I be the first to say to THANK YOU! May God bless you for the sacrifices you made. We appreciate you!!!

God bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: