Thursday, July 26, 2007

July 26, 2007

"Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee." Ps 119: 11

I would probably be safe in saying that most of us have a Bible. In fact, most of us have more than one. But how many of us READ it, STUDY it and MEDITATE on it consistently? The Bible is more than a collection of stories. It is not a list of do's and don'ts, nor is it merely a history book, although it contains all of that. No, it is MUCH MORE!

John 1:1 says, " In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the WORD WAS GOD".
I don't think our finite minds can quite grasp that entirely, but to me it says that God's Word is more than just words on paper. It is unlike any other book ever written. It is God's words to us, breathed from His mouth and it is alive! It is powerful. It is holy. It is able to stir hearts, change minds and instruct us in the way in which God wants us to go. It speaks to us in ways that are just inexplainable.

Psalm 119 tells us quite a lot about God's word:

It tells us we are blessed when we heed its words...."Blessed are the [those] who walk in the law of the Lord. Blessed are they that keep his testimonies and that seek him with their whole heart." Ps 119:1,2

It tells us how we can clean up our act...."Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy WORD." Ps 119: 10

If we ask, He will show us great wonders in His word..."Open thou mine eyes that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law." Ps 119: 18

He will help us to understand it as we read..."Make me to understand the way of thy precepts so shall I talk of thy wondrous works." Ps 119 :27

He comforts us through His Word..."My soul melts for heaviness; strengthen me according to thy word." Ps 119:28

He will give us a right response to our enemies through His word..."So shall Ihave wherewith to answer him that reproaches me; for I trust in Thy word." Ps 119: 42

He will give us good judgment by studying His Word..."Teach me good judgment and knowledge for I have believed Thy commandments." Ps 119:66

Even in our trials, He will us His Word to teach us if we will press into Him...."It was good for me that I have been afflicted that I might learn they statues." Ps 119:71

Though other philosophies and doctrines may come and go, God's Word is eternal..."Forever O Lord, thy word is settled in Heaven." Ps 119: 89.

Open His Word today. Let it speak to you, let it guide you, let it fortify your mind and your heart, let it comfort you where you are hurting, let it give you Hope and Encouragement. It contains EVERYTHING you need. It is God's love letter to you!

No comments: