Tuesday, February 12, 2008

CAMP DAVID

Camp David is my favorite "camping ground". No, I don't mean the presidential retreat. Nor do I mean the kind of camping you do in a tent. (My idea of that kind of camping is a Hampton Inn). No, I am referring to camping out in terms of taking up temporary residence, parking, hanging out....so to speak. Now that I have your attention and you are TOTALLY confused, I will give you the REAL meaning. I LOVE the book of Psalms!!!!!!!

When I am discouraged, lonely, afraid, anxious, worried, or don't know which way to turn, I turn to the book of Psalms. It is my FAVORITE book of the Bible!! Beth Moore has recently written a Bible study on Psalms which our women's ministry will begin the end of this month. I can't tell you how EXCITED I am!!!!!!!!!!!

Several times lately I've referred my friends to "Camp David". I don' t think there is anywhere in the Bible that you can "park" and be comforted and encouraged and uplifted, quite like Camp David.

I'd like to share some of my favorite passages with you.

Psalm 1 - In this Psalm David contrasts a godly person with an ungodly person. There is a progression of sin as defined in verse 1....walking, standing and sitting (I wrote about this on September 16, 2007) Then there is the one who plants his life in the Lord, putting down deep roots, producing much fruit and being successful. Such simple directions for LIFE!

Psalm 3:3 God is the "lifter up of my head". I just picture Him with his finger beneath my chin, tilting my face up to look into His eyes of love, saying gently to me "Child....it is ok. I'm here."

Psalm 6: 2 "Have mercy on me O Lord, for I am weak". How often I've cried out to Him in those very words. That is why I love David so much. He expresses my feelings perfectly. It is almost as if he has written exactly what I am feeling. So personal!

Psalm 7:9, 16 I have a note that I wrote out beside this verse in March of 2003. It reads "Saddam". Enough said.

Psalm 13: 6 "I will sing unto the Lord because he has dealt bountifully with me!" BOUNTIFULLY!!!! God does not skimp on His goodness to us.

These are just a few of the verses that God has used to comfort and encourage me. If you have never spent time at Camp David, I urge you to pay it a visit. God will meet you there and will deal BOUNTIFULLY with you !!!!!!!! More tomorrow.....

No comments: