Monday, February 25, 2008

PREPARING FOR BATTLE

In an earlier post I spoke of going to Camp David and promised to share more verses from Psalms. Got a little off track, so today I'd like to share a few more of those treasures from the Psalms.

R. A. Torrey wrote " The reason why many fail in battle is because they wait until the hour of battle. The reason why others succeed is because they have gained their victory on their knees long before the battle came...Anticipate your battles; fight them on your knees before temptation comes, and you will always have victory."

Are you facing any battles this week? If so, I urge you to go to your knees and spend time with the Lord. Then go to Camp David and seek out encouragement and "ammunition" to help you fight your battles. God has given us much in the book of Psalms to help us. Here are a few of my favorites:

"Thou wilt show me the path of life; in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." Psalm 16: 11

"Keep me as the apple of thy eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings". Psalm 17: 8

"I will love thee, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler and the horn of my salvation and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord who is worthy to be praised, so shall I be saved from my enemies." Psalm 18: 1-3

"He sent from above, he took me and drew me out of many waters, He delivered me from my strong enemy and from them which hated me for they were too strong for me. They [hindered] me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my stay." Psalm 18: 16-18

"For thou will light my candle; the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness." Psalm 18: 28

"Thou art he that took me out of the womb; thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts. I was cast upon thee from the womb, thou art MY God from my mother's belly. Be not far from me for trouble is near, for there is none to help." Psalm 22: 9-11

"Turn thee unto me and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged. O bring thou me out of my distresses." Psalm 25: 16-17

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Hear, O Lord when I cry with my voice; have mercy also upon me and answer me. I had fainted unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage and He shall strengthen thine heart; wait I say on the Lord!"Psalm 27 (selected verses)

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth and with my song will I praise Him" Psalm 28:7

"Weeping endures for a night, but JOY cometh in the morning!" Psalm 30: 5b

(All verses are King James Version)

When a verse in Psalms or anywhere in scripture for that matter, especially speaks to you or when God gives you a verse that helps you through a time of adversity, write the date out beside it and maybe a note. Each time you read through your Bible, you will be reminded of how God used that verse to bring encouragement, hope and comfort; how He spoke to you or helped you. It will reinforce your faith and remind you once again how faithful our God ALWAYS is!

No comments: