Friday, August 15, 2008

TREASURES OF DARKNESS (cont)

One of the worst things about being in a pit is that you are so alone. You seldom enter a pit with someone else. Even if you are going through a difficult time with your husband or wife or child, you are each in your own private pit.

No two people experience troubled times exactly the same. That is one reason families who go through tragedy are often pulled apart. One may be dealing with grief while the other is experiencing anger. Neither can understand the other. They are both crying out for understanding and help from each other, but are oblivious to the other’s pain.

Yes, the pit is a lonely place to be. David knew something of this loneliness:

O Lord God of my salvation, I have cried day and night before thee…
for my soul is full of troubles and my life draws near to the grave.
Thou has laid me in the lowest pit, in darkness, in deeps.
Thou hast put away my acquaintances far from me,
I am shut up and cannot come forth….(Psalm 88: 1, 6, 8)

I cried unto the Lord with my voice, with my voice I made
Supplication unto the Lord. I poured out my complaint before Him
I showed him my trouble….
I looked on my right hand and behold, there was no man that would
Know me; refuge failed me…no man cared for my soul…..
Bring my soul out of prison that I may praise Thy name! (Psalm 142 1-2, 5)

Sometimes the hurt you are facing is so deep and so personal, you cannot share it with anyone. In those times, you are so alone. God is the ONLY one you can go to, the only one you can pour out your complaint to. You long for someone to come alongside you, to help bear the awesome burden you are feeling, but alas, you cannot. You are alone in this pit of yours and you feel as if you will never again see the light of day.

It’s in those times that you must remember you are NOT alone. God is there right in the middle of the pit with you. The treasure He gives to you in those circumstances is Himself. He has promised never to leave you or to forsake you. He will come to you and He will comfort you like no person ever could. He will feed you with his Word. He will sustain you moment by moment.

Recently a well known Christian musician, Stephen Curtis Chapman and his family, experienced a terrible tragedy when their 16 year old son accidentally killed their 5 year old adopted daughter in a driveway accident. This family knows what it’s like to be in the pit. Each of them is hurting, each of them is suffering their own private grief and pain. In an interview with Larry King, Mary Beth Chapman said that she was making it "moment by moment". She said she woke every morning and asked God to get her through THAT day. And He has. He will continue to help them as they deal with the pain of this huge loss in their lives. He will be there to help their son to heal and to forgive himself. He will be their treasure in this unfathomable darkness.


"Fear not for I have redeemed thee, I have called you by name, thou art MINE!
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you…
And through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee…
When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned;
Neither shall the flame kindle upon thee….
For I AM the Lord THY God, the Holy One of Israel,
YOUR SAVIOR!!
You are precious in my sight." (Isaiah 43: 1-4)

Have you experinced Treasures of Darkness in your life? If so, I'd love to hear from you. Please leave your stories by way of the comment button below.




No comments: