Monday, September 15, 2008

LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED

The Promise of Heaven Calms My Fears

"Do not let your hearts be troubled" is a command the disciples and you and I are to obey! Deliberately calming ourselves is a choice we are to make in the face of

* shocking setbacks
* catastrophic circumstances
* abrupt accidents
* irritating interruptions
* devastating dissension
* agonizing addiction
* frequent failures

all of which cause us to be terrified of the consequences and repercussions. In the midst of the swirling, cloying fog of fear, Jesus commands, "STOP IT!!!"

Stop letting your imagination run wild!

Stop analyzing every detail over and over again!!

Stop flogging yourself with the "if onlys" and "what ifs"!!

Stop being afraid!!!!!!!


How in the world is it possible to obey a command that involves so much of our emotional feelings? Our obedience begins with a CHOICE to stop being afraid followed by a decision to start trusting God.

It has been stated that "peace is not the absence of danger but the presence of God". Jesus commanded His disciples who were on the brink of emotional disintegration, if not at that moment, then surely within a few hours, to "trust in God, trust also in Me" (14:1)

The antidote to fear is faith.

When I toss and turn in the middle of the night, worried and fearful over something that is impending in my life or the life of someone I love, I am comforted and calmed as I meditate on WHO GOD IS. It helps me place my faith in Someone Who is bigger than my fears because He is.......

Able

Benevolent

Compassionate

Dependable

Eternal

Faithful

Good

Holy

Immortal

Just

Kind

Loving

Merciful

Near

Omniscient

Powerful

Quick

Right

Sufficient

Truthful

Unique

Victorious

Wise

XYZalted

copied from MY HEART'S CRY by Anne Graham Lotz, 2002

No comments: