Monday, July 13, 2009

EXPECTATIONS

"My soul...wait only upon God, for my expectation is from Him." Psalm 62: 5

Expectations.

We all have them.

More than likely you have already laid out some in your mind for today. When you walk into your office this morning, you expect that your co-workers will greet you with a cheery "Hello" or "Hey! How was your weekend". Maybe you will be expecting your boss to hit you up with a load of work or possibly commend you for a job well done last week. Maybe you expected certain things from your spouse before you left this morning...a passionate kiss, something you hoped he or she would remember about your day, a prayer for a good day or for dealing with a problem you will face today. Maybe you are expecting a phone call today or email from someone you love.

Yes, we all have expectations. But not all are met.

Disappointment comes when our expectations are not met. We mentally expect things from people. We may not voice those expectations. We may not even hint at them, but we have them nonetheless. And, when those expectations are not realized, we are wounded. None of us want to be disappointed and bear the hurt and pain that comes from that disappointment. Nor do we want to bring disappointment to those we love by failing to meet their expectations. But it happens.

Our expectations need to be from the Lord. He is the only one who will never let us down and never let us go. If we place our expectations on our spouse, our children, our friends, our co-workers or ANYONE else, we are going to be disappointed.

We need to fix our gaze on the Lord Jesus and realize that He is the ONLY ONE who can consistently meet our expectations. It is my desire to come to the place where I can give my expectations to Him and Him alone. If I look to Him to fill my emotional "tank" rather than to others, if I allow Him to meet my needs instead of looking to others....I will not be disappointed. When He fills me up with His love, His joy, His peace and His Holy Spirit, that will overflow onto those around me. And when my "tank" is filled with Him, I will then be free to concentrate on others rather than on MY needs and MY expectations.

"Lord, let my expectation be from you today. Help me to realize that no one can meet my needs but you. No one knows my heart like you do. No one can fill my emotional "tank" like you do. Help me not to burden others with my expectations, but help me to fix my gaze upon You, the author and finisher of my faith. Fill me up Lord and spill over onto all those I come in contact with today. In Jesus name...Amen"

No comments: