Saturday, July 25, 2009

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD

"The Lord is my Shepherd." Psalm 23:1

What a familiar passage this is. I've known this psalm since I was in elementary school...back in the days when we read scripture DAILY in class!!! And, yes, this was public school.

It's the only one I can quote from memory completely so when I can't sleep or my mind is racing from one problem to another, I find myself focusing on it. As I lay in bed the other morning, wishing I could sleep, I began to meditate on this psalm. I began with the first sentence and got no further.

The LORD is my Shepherd....

A shepherd leads his sheep. So who is this person who is leading me...this person I call MY Shepherd?

"Thou O Lord art a shield for me, my glory and the lifter up of my head..." Psalm 2: 3

"I will love thee, O Lord, my strength." Psalm 18:1

"The Lord is my Rock and my Fortress...my buckler and the horn of my salvation...my high tower" Psalm 18: 2

"Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle." Psalm 24: 8

"The Lord is my light and my salvation...whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

"Thou [Lord] art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble, thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance." Psalm 32: 7

"God is our refuge and strength...a very present help in trouble." Psalm 48: 1

"For this God is our God forever and ever; he will be our guide even unto death." Psalm 48: 14

"Blessed be the Lord who daily loads us with benefits". Psalm 68: 19

"For thou art my HOPE O Lord God, thou art my trust from my youth" Psalm 71: 5

Yes, this shepherd is worth following. He is THE Lord, MY Lord, MY Shepherd. He can be trusted. He will not lead me astray. He will not abandon me. He will lead me in the way I should go. He will provide for me, care for me and protect me. He is, after all, the LIGHT of the world!

Today take comfort in this old familiar psalm. The Lord delights to be YOUR shepherd, too. Won't you follow Him today?

No comments: