Wednesday, July 29, 2009

STORMS

"The Lord has his way in the whirlwind and in the storm." Nahum 1: 3

I read this passage this morning in Streams in the Desert. I do not recall ever having read it before. In fact, I don't recall ever having read anything in the book of Nahum before! It certainly is not one of the more quoted books in the Bible. Yet this verse captivated me.

We have recently had a lot of storms in our area. It is very strange for this time of year. Normally we would be having temperatures in the 100s and heat indexes of 101-107 accompanied by lots of humidity and no rain. This year, however, our 100 degree days came in June for about two weeks. Then the temperatures began to decline and the last few weeks we've been mostly in the 80s and we've had rain and thunderstorms almost weekly. I've been LOVIN' it!!

Yes, I even love the storms. I didn't use to. But I've come to love them as long as they are just accompanied by thunder and lightening...no fierce winds, hail or tornados. Those I can do without.

Just this weekend we woke in the early morning hours to the sounds of repeated rolls of thunder and the continuous flashing of lightening. It went on for over an hour, then began to wane for a spell but then fired up again for a short time. A month or so ago, we had such a lightening show that I sat out on the front steps just to gaze into the night sky and watch the amazing display that God was performing. (Click below to watch)














We often see God in the beauty of nature. A frisky squirrel, beautiful flower, a colorful bird.










But often we do not like to associate God with the storms. We think of God as good and storms as bad. We do not like to associate anything bad with God. Yet the same God who made the flowers and the birds, makes the thunder and the lightening.

As the verse in Nahum says, not only does God make the storms, He is IN the storms. I don't know about you, but I take great comfort in that. In knowing that in the storms of my life, He is right in the midst of it. He has not abandoned me. Even when we are in the midst of a dark, stormy time in our life and it feels as if we are alone, we are not. He is right there in the midst of the storm WITH us.

Isaiah 54: 8 tells us " In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee." Then in verse 10 he reminds us, "For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed; but my kindess shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed." Even when we cannot sense His presence, He is STILL there. Moreover He tells us, "When you pass THROUGH the waters, I will be with you and THROUGH the rivers, they shall not overflow you; when you walk THROUGH the fire, you shall not be burned, neither shall the flame kindle upon you. For I am the Lord THY God,the Holy One of Israel, your SAVIOR.....Fear not, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by name, you are mine!!" Isaiah 43: 2, 1

We all go through storms in our life. The thunder rolls and the lightening flashes and often we are terrified, shaken to our core as we wonder how long it will last and if we will survive. Yet we must remember that in the very midst of those storms, God is with us. He has not left us to fend for ourselves. He is there, holding out His hand to us, speaking words of love and kindness over us. The next time you find yourself in a storm, listen for His voice in the thunder of your circumstances. Seek His face as the ligthening of doubt and fear assail you. He is there even in the midst of the whirlwind and He will carry you THROUGH!

No comments: