Thursday, March 11, 2010

ARE YOU READY?

"Be ready in the morning....and come up". Ex 34: 2



When I first read this verse a few days ago, I was immediately captivated. In fact, there is more to the verse, but I never got any farther than those few words. Nor did I even read the devotional associated with it. It was as if God had sent me a telegram telling me to get ready for a journey.



Was God trying to tell me that the next day He was going to call me Home? I admit that crossed my mind. As I thought on that, I wondered 'what do I need to do to "get ready"?'



At the time I was reading this, I was preparing to go out of town for our anniversary. My sweet husband had planned a little getaway for us and I was eagerly anticipating our leaving. So of course I had been busy "preparing". I had shopped for a couple of new outfits. I had gotten down our luggage. I had been looking online for things for us to do while we were there. Had gotten someone to teach my Bible study class for Wednesday night. I was only going to be gone 3 days, but still plans and preparations had to be made.



But....if God was going to call me Home for all eternity....what did I need to do to "get ready?"



Well just as we had had to make reservations for our stay in Nashville, I have had to make reservations for Heaven. You see, I did that a long time ago when I was 10 years old. I placed my faith and trust in Jesus Christ and as a result my name is written forever in the Lamb's Book of Life. My name has been engraved on the palm of His hands and nothing and no one can ever snatch me from His grasp. So my future is secure.



So what else do I need to do to "get ready" should He call me to 'come up'?



I think I would want to say my goodbyes, if given the opportunity. To be able to tell those I love so much one last time how much they mean to me. I would want to express a huge thank you to those who have played such a part in my life, who have encouraged me, supported me, prayed for me, taught me, discipled me and been there for me. I would want to be sure there was no business left undone. I'd want to be sure my affairs were in order and I'd want to take one last opportunity to share Christ with those I know do no know Him personally.



As I thought on this, I thought all the way back to my first Sunday School teacher, Artie Jean Webb. I still see her from time to time and she is as beautiful today as she was back then. She had the sweetest smile and was so kind. She still does.



I thought of other teachers who had so impacted my life during my childhood....Marie Dixon, Sue Nolley, and Martha Apple. I think of our department director, Tim Treadwell, who had faith in a little girl's ability to play the piano and gave me the responsibility every Sunday to do so. I remember with fondness our youth leaders, Joe Clark and Tim Spencer. How many kids they touched and I wonder if they ever realized what an impact they made. They pointed me to Christ and encouraged me to stay the course. They saw things in me I never saw in myself and opened doors of ministry for me that charted the course for my life. A wonderful couple, Mr. and Mrs. Vic Palpant, were only in our church for a short time, but I will never forget them. They opened their home to us every Sunday night, giving us a place to hang out since there was no real place to do that in our small town. I have such fond memories of the time spent in their home.


These are just a few of the people who influenced MY life as a child and teenager. The list from then on could take volumes!!



How about you? What would YOU need to do to get ready? Is your reservation made? Are there things you need to do? Are there people you need to say "thank you" to? Are there people you need to express your love to? Are there those who need to hear about Jesus from you before you go?



We do not know when God is going to send us the message "come up". He may graciously give us a heads up and allow us to "get ready", but He may not and since we do not know whether we will be given that opportunity ahead of time or not, we need to be ready TODAY.



Today could be our day to "come up"...either by way of our physical death OR by way of the rapture. Either way, we need to be ready.



If you do not have your reservation made, if your name is NOT written in the Lamb's Book of Life, then now is the time. Do not wait another day. I would love to share with you how. You may contact me through the COMMENT link below. Or you may call 1-800-NEED-HIM.



If your name IS in the Book, are there things left to be said or done? If so, don't waste another minute. Do it today. Make that phone call. Write that letter. Make a visit. Hug the ones you love and tell them how much you love them. So what if TODAY is NOT your day. So what if you live another 30 years? Tell them again and again, but don't leave things unsaid until it's too late.



Because you never know when God MAY say "Be ready in the morning ....and COME UP!"

No comments: