Sunday, January 15, 2012

HOW COMMITTED ARE YOU?

A friend posted the following on Facebook this week:







At first glance, it reminded me of my daughter who just ran her first 1/2 marathon in December.  13 miles!!!  Did you get that.....THIRTEEN MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It blew me away!  We were SO proud of her.

Of course, she didn't just get up on the morning of December 3 and slip on her running shoes and decide "Oh, I think I'll run the 1/2 marathon today!"  No, she began months in advance by running first one mile, then two, then three until she finally worked herself all the way up to THIRTEEN!!  

I marveled at her stamina and her discipline, her determination and COMMITMENT to the goal she had set before her, even when her knee started to give her trouble.  She would not quit.  Even when it was extremely hot, even when she did not feel her best, even when she had 100 other things she had to do, she made the time to run.  She was the perfect example of the photo above.  In fact, she could be THAT woman running!

That premise layed forth in the photo applies to anything, not just running.  

This week we began a Bible study called His Story, My Story.  We will be reading through the Bible chronologically.  The whole basis of this study is that we must KNOW His story which is contained in all 66 books of the Bible, not just bits and pieces.  

Did you know that God was so committed to His people knowing His Story that He commanded that it be read to the people, in its entirety (which then was only the first 5 books as we know it), every 7 years?!  And that was to be passed down from generation to generation.  Why?  Because God wanted them to know what He had done for them, how much He loved them and to understand His faithfulness to them.

Our leader and the author of the Bible study, Iva May, shared with us Thursday that she has read THROUGH the Bible every year since the 1970's!  WOW!!  I don't know many people who can say that. I sure can't.  In fact, I've started more times than I can count, but somehow I always got sidetracked and never got all the way through.  

But this year is going to be different.  Why?  Because I am committed to it.  I am no longer just "interested" in trying to do it.  I'm committed to doing it.  I'm committed to learning ALL of His Story and not only learning it, but being able to TELL it to another.

So, what about you?  Are you COMMITTED or just INTERESTED?  

More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's the greatest commitment anyone can make. If you know Him, he will reveal Himself more clearly when you are in His Word!
I'll be praying for the growth of all those diligently working to read ALL of His Word this year! CY