"God gives us richly, all things to enjoy" I Timothy 6:17
There are some denominations that believe we should not be happy, enjoy anything or have any pleasure in this life. To do so is sin. But scripture contradicts that. The above verse plainly tells us that God RICHLY gives us things to enjoy.
Matthew 7:11 says "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"
We are made in the image of God. God enjoys giving good gifts to us just as we enjoy giving good gifts to our children. What parent does not enjoy giving things to their kids?! I would much rather buy for my children and grandchildren that have anything for myself. It is my joy to give to them.
But the Lord gives many good gifts to us that do not come wrapped in pretty paper and lavish bows, tucked beneath our tree on CHRISTmas morning.
Maybe this year, you are unable to spend as you have in the past due to the economic conditions that our country is now facing. The future is very questionable for many today as every day we hear of more companies downsizing or closing altogether. Jobs hang in the balance, so spending this CHRISTmas has been pared down significantly in many homes.
Still, God has given us many good gifts to enjoy. Look around today and see what good gifts He has given to YOU and your family. Here are just a few He has given me:
* My wonderful husband
* My two precious children and my children-in-love
* Two beautiful, adorable, precious, delightful granddaughters
* My mother
* My mother in law....94 and still going strong!
* Our beautiful home
* A wonderful church family
* God's Word
* Time to be still...to sit with only the CHRISTmas lights on, soft CHRISTmas music playing, a cup of cider and just drinking in the wonder and blessings of the season
* Watching my 2 year old granddaughter at play, listening to the funny things she says, seeing the look of new discovery in her eyes
* Watching my newest granddaughter as she sleeps peacefully in my arms, catching a tiny smile as she dreams
* Seeing the look on my son's face when he looked into his new baby daughter's face
* Watching my daughter an d son-in-love kneel in prayer together each Sunday
* Watching it snow
* Being with friends every month who have been such a blessing to my life and enjoying that special bond in Christ that we have together
* Scrapbooking with my daughter at Scrapbook Weekend
* Sitting on the porch at our farm, listening to the wind in the trees
* Walking through the woods in the fall, drinking in the beauty of God's wonderful creation
* Never ceasing to be amazed at how good God is!!!!!!!
These are just a few of the "good gifts" God has blessed ME with. I urge you today to stop and make a list of all the "good gifts" He has bestowed on you. You will discover quickly just how rich you are !!!
18 hours ago