Wednesday, August 5, 2009

BE STILL....and KNOW

"Be still................................"

"Be still..............................."

"Be still...............................and know that I AM GOD." Psalm 46:10

It is in the stillness that we come to truly KNOW God. When our souls become quiet before Him. When we shut out the clamor and noise that pervades our lives. When we get alone before Him and truly listen, THEN we will KNOW Him.

After another night of showers, thunder and lightening, I decided that the porch would be a perfect place for my morning quiet time. I cherish that time with the Lord and being outside just enhances my closeness to Him.

It was early and the clouds hovered overhead, still unsure if they were going to move on and allow the sun to break through or shower us with more rain. The cool morning temperatures were a great respite from the heat and humidity we had yesterday. A light breeze was blowing and the only sound was the rain dripping from the gutters and a lone bird singing her song. Ahhhh, such peace.

I opened my JESUS CALLING devotional book and read these words:

"Sit quietly in My Presence while I bless you. Make your mind a still pool, ready to receive whatever thoughts I drop into it. Rest in my sufficiency as you consider the challenges this day presents."

And so I did. I sat there with my eyes closed and just drank in the stillness, thanking God for those few peaceful moments alone with Him.

I continued to read and pray. I needed to get up and go inside, but the peacefulness just would not let me go. The breeze had been blowing softly through the trees that surround our house which sits in a semi circle of a small grove of trees. Suddenly from the lower end of the grove the wind began to blow with more of a vengence, the trees swaying to and fro. The sound of it made me wonder if a storm were about to break. The wind was fierce and the rustling of the trees got louder and louder as the wind made its way around the grove. Soon the windchimes behind my head were swaying wildly, playing their tune with all their tune with all their might. Overhead the clouds seemed dark and threatening. I wondered if I should not get up and go turn on the TV to see if indeed a tornado watch was out or if another storm were approaching. But....I couldn't move. I was absolutely mesmerized as I watched the wind blowing so forcefully through the trees, their branches heaving and sighing with each gust that blew, leaves being ripped and blown across the yard.

I was reminded of the verse I used here just a few days ago from Nahum..."God is in the whirlwind" Nahum1:3 Indeed He is.

I was struck with the fact that God is the only one in control of the wind and all the weather. For all of man's ingenuity, he cannot cause the sun to rise or set, the rain to fall or not. He does not say when or where the wind will blow or for how much or how long. Only GOD does that! Isn't that an awesome and comforting thought?

I love the verses in Job where God speaks to Job:

"Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind [notice it was OUT OF THE WHIRLWIND] and said, 'Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth....who has laid the measures of it, do you know? Or who has stretched the line upon it?...............I made the cloud the garment thereof and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it.............Have you perceived the breadth of the earth...declare it if you know....By what way is the light parted which scatters the east wind upon the earth....Hath the rain a father or who begat the drops of dew?'" Job 38

He reminded Job as He reminds us that He alone is in control!!

Now as I write this, it is so still not a leaf is moving. Who stilled the winds? Who moved the clouds? Who holds back the rain?

Only One...the Lord God Almighty, the Lord strong and mighty. Man may control many things, or they think they do, but God is ultimately and supremely in control of this universe. He spoke it into being and He will one day bring it to an end. He and He alone! Worship Him with me today in the beauty of His holiness and awesome power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: