Thursday, August 2, 2007

August 2, 2007

Did you drive anywhere yesterday? Where was your mind while you were driving? Were you thinking about what you were going to do when you got to your destination? Were you thinking about what you were going to prepare for dinner? Were you thinking about the argument you had with your spouse that morning? Were you thinking about the business deal you had just made? Were you talking to your children? Were you singing a praise song?

Can you imagine for one second what it would be like to be driving along and suddenly the bottom falls out...you find yourself plummeting into the river below!!? It is all too horrific to even imagine, yet that is exactly what happened around 6 pm yesterday in Minneapolis. If you have seen the photos on the news or in the morning paper, I'm sure they don't begin to tell the story. We read of numbers and cars, but there were moms and dads, children, grandparents, parents, friends, co-workers who perished or were seriously injured. Their lives in the blink of an eye were forever altered.

What do you do when you are traveling along life's highway and the bottom falls out? It happens every day, you know. No, not bridges falling, but lives crumbling and falling into the unknown abyss that reaches out and grabs all of us at one time in our lives or another. When that happens, what do you do?

I've tried to imagine (and pray I never know for real) what it had to be like for those people yesterday. I can't. But I do know that the ONE I would call out to would be the Lord. I know that because He is my Rock, He is my strong High Tower, He is the foundation of my life. He has proven Himself faithful again and again, and I know that He would be there for me. I would cling to Him. I would call out to Him. I would trust Him to help me. If able, I would run to His word...probably Psalms because that is my safe haven. I would do that because I have placed my faith and trust in Him. " Though he slay me, yet will I trust Him." Job 13:15

But what do those who are not believers do? Who do they run to? Who holds them up when their world is crashing in on them? Buddha, Muhammed, Allah....all of them are dead. They have no feeling, no compassion. They are unable to do a thing. But MY GOD LIVES!!!!!!! He is acquainted with my grief. He was a man of sorrows himself. He wept. And He is alive today. He hears my prayers. Not only does He hear my prayers, but He responds with compassion and love. He loves me. He cares about me. He died for me. And even if the world crashes beneath me and I fall into the depths of the sea...if my life is taken from me, I will be with Him forever and ever. My family KNOWS where I will be and I KNOW where they will be. We have that peace. We do not grieve as those who have no hope.

Can you say that today? If that had been you in that disaster yesterday, where would your hope lie? Would you have had anyone to call upon in the darkness and pain? Would you have had peace that if you died, you would go to Heaven to be with the Lord? You can, you know.

For details on how you can find that peace, that wonderful relationship with Jesus Christ, please go to http://www.chick.com/information/general/salvation.asp. Don't waste another day without Him. Today may be the day YOUR world crashes in!

No comments: