Monday, August 6, 2007

August 6, 2007

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, make your requests known to God with thanksgiving." Phil. 4:6

Os Hillman, author of the daily devotion TODAY GOD IS FIRST, recently relayed this story:

I walked into the office. The secretary seemed physically struggling with her breathing and her countenance was different than normal.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Allergies," she replied. "Sometimes it gets so bad I can hardly breathe."

"May I pray for you?" I asked.

"Oh, I don't want to take up His time with something as menial as me. I'd rather not waste it on me. You should pray for someone much less fortunate than me. My mother always taught us to pray at the dinner table for those less fortunate than us," she replied.

The woman was touched that I would offer to pray for her.The next day I told her my prayer group was praying for her. She could not believe that I would do such a thing for her.

I remember another story I read of Os's that told of him asking permission to pray for another woman in his office. She was stunned. The next day she told him that no one had ever prayed for her before. That blew me away!!!!!!! I had never thought that there was anyone that had not had SOMEONE praying for them...ever!!

I have been so blessed to be part of the family of God who prays for each other. I am so blessed that I was taught from an early age that prayer is important and that God does hear. And, more importantly than anything, I guess, is that I have learned that there is NOTHING too big or too small to take to God.

But when I thought about that woman who said NO ONE had ever prayed for her, I began to wonder how many people I come in contact with every day have never had anyone to pray for them. What a channel of blessing we can be to another person to offer to pray for them. Maybe it is a co-worker, maybe a neighbor, maybe even the girl in the check out at the grocery.

A sweet friend of mine and precious prayer warrior writes out her prayers for others. Her prayers for me have been such a blessing. They have meant so much to me that I also began writing out my prayers and sending them to those in need. I have had nothing but positive responses. It is one thing to tell someone you will pray for them, but it is quite another for them to read the prayer you are praying for them.

A pastor friend of ours always asks the waiter or waitress who is serving his table if he/she has any needs he can pray for. After they recover from the shock, most end up sharing something that is weighing heavily upon them and he lets them know that he will be praying for them. I feel sure that some of those have never had anyone to pray for them before. What a blessing!

I can' t imagine what my life would be like if no one had ever prayed for me. I have been blessed with so many in my life who pray for me....friends, family, fellow Sunday school class members...even neighbors. I am thankful to God for this blessing in MY life and count it a privilege to also pray for others.

I have witnessed the power of prayer as I have sought prayer for others who are in dire need. Often those praying have never met the person in need, but still pray faithfully for them, week in and week out, month in and month out as God brings that person to mind. And we have had the joy of seeing God move in response to those prayers. So even when we pray for strangers, it is blessing both to the one who is being prayed for and the one who is praying.

Who can you pray for today? Be sensitive to God's leading and allow Him to make you a channel of blessing to someone. You may be the ONLY one who has ever lifted their name to the Father!

No comments: