Tuesday, August 21, 2007

August 21, 2007

"We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true." I John 5:20

Knowing God..............that is something most of us would say that we aspire to. But have you ever really stopped to think about that? To KNOW G-O-D!!!! The God who created this entire universe by speaking it into existence! The God who holds it all in place! The God who has always been and always will be...who has no beginning and no end. The God who calms the storm by just saying "Peace...be still!" The God who is all seeing, all knowing who is everywhere at once and knows not only every word that is spoken around the world but every thought as well! Is there any way that we can KNOW this God?!

I was thinking about this yesterday and how awesome the thought of that is. If I decided that I wanted to get to know George Bush, what would I do? Well, first I might try to read everything I could about him. I could get on the internet and read more about him, view videos of him and even listen to many of his speeches. But that would really just be knowing ABOUT him, not knowing him up close and personal. So then I could decide I would need to meet him in person. I would go about finding out when he was going to be speaking somewhere and make arrangements to be there. However, if I wanted to really MEET him, I would need to get a ticket to an event where he would be. With security as tight as it is around him, I could not hope to just show up and be invited into his presence. In fact, to even get a ticket, I might have to go through some sort of security clearance. Then I would have to purchase that ticket it would more than likely cost at least $1,000 or more. That would just get me in the door. If there was a receiving line, I MIGHT get a chance to shake his hand or if I was really, really lucky I might even get a chance to have my picture taken with him. But would I KNOW him? No, not at all. In order to get to KNOW him, I would have to spend time with him. We would have to have some in depth conversations. I would have to know his heart, know what makes him tick and have a repoire with him to really say that I knew him. And you and I know, that barring a miracle, that will never happen!!!!!!!!

But God....I KNOW! I know Him because He and I have been on a journey together for over 40 years. He created me. He has heard my prayers since I was able to utter them. I have read lots about Him. Could tell you lots of stories about Him. But I KNOW Him because He lives IN me. He has taken up residence within me and by his Holy Spirit, HE lives in me! That is a mind boggling concept, but it is true. And, not only that, but I can talk to Him any time, in any place. I do not need to call ahead and schedule an appointment. I do not have to buy a ticket to enter His presence. I do not have to pass a security clearance. I am not limited to the amount of time I can spend with him. I will never have his secretary say "I'm sorry....you've already spoken with Him once today. He has others He must talk to now. Call back another day." He will never get tired of my calling and just leave a message on his answering machine. I can speak directly to Him as often as I want. He encourages me to "pray without ceasing"! He is always available. In fact, He knows me so well, that sometimes when I don't know what to say or how to express what I'm saying, He interprets for me. He just knows.

He knows more about me than I know about myself. He hears not only my spoken prayers, but the very thoughts and intents of my heart. He knows things I would never share with another living soul and He's not telling! I KNOW Him by experience. He has helped me more times than I can count, and I KNOW that He is faithful. I KNOW that He will never let me down, because He never has and He never will. He does not lie. I KNOW that I am never alone because He has promised to never leave me or forsake me. He never has and He never will. I KNOW that He is working all things for my good. I can't always SEE it or understand it, but I KNOW because He always ha and He always will. I guess you could say we have a history together!


Yet as much as I do KNOW Him, there is still much to learn. So I will continue to pursue knowing Him more and more. I am learning more day by day about His awesome character. I am continually amazed by His power and greatness. My heart is full to overflowing for His goodness to me. I am eternally grateful for His care for me and for those I love. And I am forever awed and grateful that He would want a relationship with ME!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!

In her book "More Than Just Enough", Anne Graham Lotz writes:

I want to know what He has to say to those who are desperate for more of Him. As I have poured over the Scriptures, my heart has cried out for more than just enough.....

to escape a fiery hell
to be saved from God's wrath
to call myself a Christian
to manage my guilt
to get a ticket to Heaven
to squeak through Heaven's gate.

I long for more than just the bare minimum God has to offer.
I long for more than what the average Christian seems to settle for.
I long for everything God wants to give me.
I long for more than enough to
bend my will
to awaken my conscience
to break my heart
to transform my mind
to overcome my prejudices
to soar in my Spirit
to conform me into His glorious image
to give me an abundant entrance into Heaven!
I long to be satured with Jesus. So please, dear God, just give me MORE..........of Jesus!!"


No comments: