Saturday, March 15, 2008

GOD'S PLANS...NOT MINE

"For I know the plans I have for you, saith the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 HCSB

We live in a day of "Blackberries", daytimers, and all sorts of technical devices to keep us organized. We are SO busy that we must have some means of keeping track. Our calendars are filled with business appointments, social events, doctor's appointments, our children's schedules, church events, holidays and more. Yet for all of our planning and scheduling, all our organizing and technical maneuvering, God still has the final word.

I knew when this month began that it was going to be a super busy one. I had many things going on this month. Yet overriding them all was the fact that I really did NOT know how things would REALLY go, as all was dependent on the outcome of one doctor's appointment. Even last Sunday as I was heading home from a wonderful week in the Caribbean with my husband, my mind was filled with the "what-if's" and wondering where I'd be THIS weekend. My calendar had "Writer's Seminar" written in for today...an event I very much wanted to attend.

Well, as I reported earlier this week, I got a wonderful report from the doctor (THANK YOU AGAIN LORD!) and so all seemed to be on target for the rest of the week. I was eagerly looking forward to the seminar and on with the rest of the month's plans.

Well, I was NOT at the seminar today. Instead the closest I got to writing today was sitting here in my pjs composing this blog. I have been waylaid by the flu....and for those of you who have not had it, let me tell you it is one mean little bug!

That was NOT in my plans and NOT on my calendar. But, for some reason, God had it on HIS calendar so there has to be a reason. Not sure what that is, nor if I will ever know. But one thing I do know is that I trust Him and that is enough.

In our Bible study this week, Beth Moore asked the question, "What do you think you'd do if you thought you had God completely figured out?" I am glad to know that I will NEVER have God completely figured out. My God is past finding....My God is SO big and so powerful and so awesome that there aren't words in the vocabulary of man to describe Him! And that is part of what makes Him God.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes I do wish I knew what He was up to when things don't go the way I want or when things happen that are so painful and make no sense at all, but one thing I know....God loves me and He is for me. So when things happen that I don't understand, I have to just rely on that. As Job said," Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him," and as a popular song says "when you can't trace God's hand, trust His heart".

No comments: