Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Thirst!

By Josh Steele


With spring quickly approaching my mind can’t help but think of the things I need to do around the house. You know those things that some of us love and others hate. YARD WORK!

That’s right, with the upcoming season comes the task of working outdoors. Mowing grass, edging, weeding flowerbeds, trimming hedges, and all that goes with it. Our spring season is not the time that I dread getting out and doing those things. Most of the time the weather is nice, not too hot, but warm enough to bring comfort from the frigid winter. I look forward to getting out and cutting the grass for the first time of the season, cleaning the flower beds out from the ongoing winter, and making things really look nice.

The time that I really don’t like yard work is the middle of the summer. As all of us know, summers in the south are nasty. Temperatures climbing into the 90’ s-100 with a high humidity just make for a long day. You know the days I am talking about. The one where you can’t get out early enough to beat it. You haven’t gotten out the door good and your clothes are already stuck to you. You feel like the air is actually burning your lungs. And you always have that water cooler or bottle close to your side.

I have noticed before that no matter how much water I drink on those scorching days, it’s never enough. I always have to have it. I can drink and drink, but the urge is always there for more.

This brings me to think of the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well. We see in John 4:13-14 Jesus said, “ Everyone who drinks from this water will get thirsty again. But whoever drinks from the water that I will give him will never get thirsty again-ever! In fact, the water I will give him will become a well of water springing up within him for eternal life.”

Wow is about all I can say. Just think what it would be like to have a well of water springing up within you for eternity. To never be thirsty again. Thirsty for what is the question I ask myself. Jesus is telling me that the well I keep going to is my pride, my worldly possessions, and my self worth. And just to think that if I drink from His well, His Word, I will never again thirst for those things! What a wakeup call. How great it would be to never thirst again for the perfect car, the perfect house, or any of the other things we build our lives on! Only for Him and His Word! Drink up and share His Water with your neighbor…..there is plenty to go around.

No comments: