Saturday, March 1, 2008

WHO DO YOU RUN TO?

When you are afraid, in turmoil, weary, or anxious who do you run to? Who do you know, without a doubt, will ALWAYS be there for you?

David knew. He ran to God.

David, the master illustrator, gives us a beautiful word picture throughout the Psalms.

Psalms 17:7 "Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them. 8 Keep me as the apple of thy eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, 9 From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about. "


Psalms 36:7 "How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. "


Psalms 57:1 "Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. "


Psalms 61:4 "I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the cover of thy wings. Selah."


Psalms 63:7 "Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. "


Psalms 91:3 "Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler."

God, through the Holy Spirit, reiterates this beautiful picture in the gospels:

Matthew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens [NKJV: chicks] under her wings, and ye would not! "


Luke 13:34 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! "

Do you see the word picture I am referring to? "Under the shadow of thy wings" or "under her wings".... God paints for us a picture of a bird that takes its wings and gently pulls its young beneath those pinions to guard and protect her little ones from danger and harm.

God, in His great mercy and tenderness, reaches out to us, sweeping us under His almighty wings, to shelter us and protect us and to keep us close to His heart. Listen to the full context of just Psalms 36: 5-10:

"Thy mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reaches unto the clouds. Thy righteousness is like the great mountains; thy judgments are a great deep: O Lord, thou preservest man and beast. How excellent is thy lovingkindss, O God! Therefore, the children of men put their trust in under the shadow of thy wings. They shall be ABUNDANTLY satisfied with the fatness of thy house and thou shalt make them drink of the river of THY pleasures. For with thee is the fountain of life; in they light shall we see light. O continue thy lovingkindness unto them that know thee; and thy righteousness to the upright in heart."

I hope you will take the time to read that and read it again and drink in all the richness of that verse. There is no where you can run....no ONE you can run to who will love you like God! In Him, you will be ABUNDANTLY SATISFIED!!!

**It is with great joy that I turn over my blog to my son-in-love for this next week (with the exception o f Monday). I know you are going to be blessed!

No comments: