Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sowing Seeds of Faith

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Josh Steele and I am the son-in-law of Pat and Larry. I was fortunate enough to marry their only daughter, Alisha 5 wonderful years ago. I was accepted into their family with open arms.

The last 5 years have been amazing as I have watched these two wonderful people show through their daily lives what love really is. May this week be a wonderful, romantic getaway for them.

Last week Mrs. Pat contacted me and ask me to write her blog this week while she was gone. Now some of you may have read some of my devotions that she has posted on here from time to time. I am not nearly as talented as she is, but I told her I would be honored to do it. So here it goes!

May God bless you as you read!

Sowing Seeds of Faith
By Josh Steele
When I was a young boy I spent many days with my grandparents, especially during the spring and summer. They lived on a small farm in Northeast Mississippi. They had chickens and pigs and my grandfather tended to cows on the farm next to them. A lot of our food came from what they raised on our farm.

One of the things I remember most was the loving care my grandmother put into her garden. She was preparing the field for planting as soon as my grandfather broke the ground in the early spring. She would make sure her rows were straight and all the sticks and debris were out of the loose dirt.

The greatest memory is when it came time to plant. The care she took with the seeds, the love that she put into each and everyone was evident. She took an amazing amount of time on each and every hole, pulling the dirt in the perfect way and placing the seeds at the perfect depth. She knew that by putting that much love into every little seed she sowed, she would reap the most at harvest time.

Doesn’t God call each of us to take that much love and care in each and every seed of faith we sow. If we just throw seeds of faith out into the field, will the winds of the devil not blow them away? Will the floods of sin not wash them away?

Consider what Jesus tells the crowds in Mark 4:3-9 “Listen! Consider the sower who went out to sow. As he sowed, this occurred: Some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Other seed fell on rocky ground where it didn’t have much soil, and it sprang up right away, since it didn’t have deep soil. When the sun came up, it was scorched, and since it didn’t have a root, it withered. Other seed fell among the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked it, and it didn’t produce a crop. Still others fell on good ground and produced a crop that increased 30, 60, and 100 times what was sown.” Then he said, “Anyone who has ears should listen!”

God calls us to sow seeds of faith, but to sow them cautiously so that His harvest will be great. I challenge us all today to go and prepare the fields of faith, sow seeds with love and compassion, and wait on the harvest!

No comments: